Behind Art That Doesn't Need A Canvas

LIFESTYLE | July 2, 2017

Chan Lim Family of Artists

I am not an art aficionado or enthusiast, but I certainly appreciate the uniqueness of the artworks that were being showcased whenever there is an exhibit being held. But a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Facebook post about an upcoming art exhibit that quickly captured my interest. Luckily, I managed to check it out on its last day, and I was surprisingly impressed. 


Art on Lanterns

The moment I got there, I hardly noticed that there were no canvasses being showcased throughout the exhibit. Instead, all I see was hundreds of lanterns hanging around. It is then that I learned that there are paintings within these lanterns which is quite mesmerizing for those who have been visiting the showcase for quite some time. Heck, I am intrigued about it thinking, "What can anyone expect from a family of artists led by Chan Lim?"

During my stay, I learned more about the said family through a brief history displayed at the exhibits entrance, and there are many things that really made any art lover curious about the Chinese-Filipino family. First, every member of the family does not have any degree in fine arts. Second, their unique works of art are inspired by two key points: the infusion of Western and Eastern art and expressing them in different media.

Despite the fact that Chan Lim's siblings are currently in the corporate world, it became a mystery to many how they make such fine and innovative mediums through the years. In any case, I would give the patriarch not just the benefit of the doubt, but also the nod for showcasing a style that clearly redefined uniqueness in the world of fine arts.

Lanterns with Art Hanging

It is delightful for me to have the family's works of art being showcased in a well-known shopping center in my hometown and I think there is another one coming up somewhere within the country. In the end, it is without question that no art style in the Philippines can match the uniqueness and inspiration that began with a man named Chan Lim.

These photos were taken during the last day of the Chan Lim Family of Artists Exhibit held at the Event Center of SM City Lipa last June 24, 2017.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...